A child leaving for college can send an entire household into a roller coaster ride of emotions. The excitement of being independent and the anxiety over leaving a child into his own devices in a far away university can wreak havoc on what were packed in the suitcases and trunks. Chances are, important items will be left behind. Don't fret, you can always ship items that were left behind due to the moving out frenzy.
To make a college student's move a little less stressful, we list down the essential items that must be taken to the university:
- Clothes that will carry you through fall temperatures. If you are going home for Thanksgiving, just take the your winter clothes when you go back.
- Underwear, socks and sleepwear, at least 2 weeks worth.
- Fall jacket, raincoat & boots.
- Hat & gloves (if climate-appropriate).
- At least one cocktail dress or jacket & tie (for semiformal events).
- At least one pair of dress shoes.
- Sneakers or everyday shoes.
- Hiking boots if you plan to explore the outdoors.
- At least one bathing suit.
- 2 sets of towels & a beach towel.
- 2 sets of sheets and pillowcases.
- Your favorite pillow.
- Under-the-bed storage bins (if you’re driving, use them to pack clothes or supplies).
- Cell phone (and charger!).
- iPod (and headphones!).
- Laptop computer (don’t forget the power cords!).
- Bike and sports equipment (if you really think you’ll use it).
- Vitamins and medications (plus your doctor’s phone number, any extra prescriptions, and something that indicates your blood type).
- Driver’s license, insurance card, social security card (or copy), birth certificate (or copy), ATM card, checkbook, credit card, passport (if you plan to travel), and other important documents.
If you have limited space in your car, just bring the essentials and have the rest shipped to your college address.