Shipping large furniture pieces like a chest of drawers, dressers, and cabinets require proper packing to ensure that they are safe from damage during transport.
It is best to disassemble big pieces like these before shipping to make them easier to handle as well as to save on space. Here are some tips on how to properly pack and ship cabinets, dressers, armoires, and other large furniture.
1. Disassemble the piece. Remove tops, bases, and shelving, if possible.
2. Wrap doors and shelving separately with bubble wrap. Place them in a shipping box with packing materials for padding.
3. If doors are fixed and cannot be detached, tape them shut so they will not swing open during transport.
4. Protect corners with pieces of cardboard and bubble wrap. These are the parts most prone to scratches, bumps, and other damages.
5. All hardware that was removed during disassembly must be placed in clearly labeled plastic bags.
6. Cover the entire furniture in moving pads.
7. Place the piece in a crate and use sufficient packing peanuts or other packing materials for padding and protection.
8. Lastly, use a dolly when moving a piece of large furniture.