An increasing number of audiophiles are discovering the advantages of a do-it-yourself Bottlehead amplifier in terms of sound quality and value for money. Many are also venturing into the DIY Bottlehead amp building business. Because of its many fragile parts, extra precautions are required when packing a Bottlehead amp for shipping to ensure that it arrives in perfect working condition.
Here are some helpful tips on how to properly pack and ship a bottlehead amplifier:
1. Before packing, inspect the Bottlehead amp and make sure that all the screws and nuts are tight. Vibrations during transit can loosen the screws that could affect the inner workings of the amp.
2. Generously wrap the amp with bubble wrap, about three layers around the long sides and another three layers on the shorter sides. Secure the bubble wrap in place with Scotch tape. This will provide the amp with sufficient cushion and protection during rough handling.
3. Place the wrapped amp in an appropriately-sized shipping box. The amp must snugly fit into the box. In case there are still spaces between the box and the amp, fill them with more bubble wrap, packing peanuts or crumpled paper until the amp is unable to move when the box is slightly shaken.
4. Also, wrap the power cord and the tubes in bubble wrap and insert in the box. Don’t forget to include the manual if you are shipping to a buyer.
5. Close the box and seal with packaging tape.
Finally, the most important is the address and label the package as “fragile” and take to the shipping company.