The Egg Chair, a sculptural chair designed by Arne Jacobsen in 1958, is a highly sought-after piece of furniture among collectors and design enthusiasts. Its unique shape and comfort have made it an iconic example of mid-century modern design. If you are planning to purchase an Egg Chair or need to ship one, it is important to take precautions to ensure that the chair is not damaged during transit. In this article, we will discuss the history of the Egg Chair, its popularity, why it is a collector’s item, and provide a guide to packing and shipping an Egg Chair safely.
Arne Jacobsen, a Danish architect and designer known for his functionalist approach to design, created the Egg Chair as part of his design of the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel in Copenhagen. The chair was designed specifically for the hotel’s lobby and was meant to provide a comfortable and welcoming place for guests to sit and relax. Jacobsen wanted to create a chair that was both functional and beautiful, and the result was the Egg Chair, a sculptural chair with a curved, cocoon-like shape that provides a sense of shelter and security.
The Egg Chair became an instant hit when it was first introduced, and it quickly became a symbol of Danish design. Its unique shape and comfortable seating made it a popular choice for modern and contemporary interiors. The chair’s popularity was not limited to Denmark, as it quickly became a global phenomenon. Today, the Egg Chair is considered a design classic, and it is coveted by collectors and design enthusiasts around the world.
The Egg Chair is considered a collector’s item because of its unique design and cultural significance. Original Egg Chairs produced by Fritz Hansen, the manufacturer authorized by Arne Jacobsen to produce the chairs, are the most valuable. These chairs are marked with a serial number and a Fritz Hansen stamp, which indicates that they are authentic. The rarity of the chair is another factor that contributes to its value. Some of the earliest models were made with foam that deteriorated over time, making them even rarer. Finally, the provenance of the chair is important because it can add to the chair’s historical significance. If the chair was owned by a famous designer or architect or used in a famous film or television show, it could increase the chair’s value.
Packing and Shipping
If you are planning to purchase an Egg Chair or need to ship one, it is essential to take precautions to ensure that the chair arrives safely and undamaged. Here are some tips for packing and shipping furniture as iconic as an Egg Chair:
- Disassemble the Chair: The Egg Chair consists of two main parts, the shell and the base. Disassembling the chair will make it easier to pack and ship.
- Wrap the Chair: Wrap the chair in a layer of bubble wrap or foam to protect it from scratches and other damage. Be sure to wrap the chair tightly to prevent it from moving around inside the box.
- Secure the Base: The base of the Egg Chair should be wrapped separately and secured to the bottom of the box. This will ensure that it does not move around during transit.
- Choose a Sturdy Box: Choose a box that is sturdy enough to support the weight of the chair. A double-walled box is recommended, as it will provide extra protection.
- Fill Any Gaps: Use packing peanuts or other cushioning material to fill any gaps in the box. This will prevent the chair from shifting around during transit.
- Label the Box: Label the box clearly with the recipient’s name and address, as well as any special instructions for handling the package.
- Insure the Shipment: Finally, consider insuring the shipment to protect against loss or damage during transit.
When shipping an Egg Chair, it is important to choose a reputable shipping carrier that specializes in the transportation of delicate and valuable items. Some carriers even offer white-glove services that include packing, pickup, and delivery by trained professionals. These services may be more expensive, but they offer the highest level of protection for your Egg Chair. Here are a few options to consider:
- UPS offers a range of shipping services for valuable items, including UPS Proactive Response Secure, which provides proactive monitoring and intervention in case of any issues during transit. They also offer insurance for valuable items.
- FedEx has a range of shipping services for valuable items, including their White Glove Service, which includes packing, pickup, and delivery by trained professionals. They also offer insurance for valuable items.
- DHL offers a range of shipping services for valuable items, including their White Glove Service, which includes packing, pickup, and delivery by trained professionals. They also offer insurance for valuable items.
- Craters & Freighters is a white-glove shipping company that specializes in the transportation of delicate and valuable items. They offer custom packaging solutions and insurance for valuable items.
- uShip is an online shipping marketplace that connects shippers with a network of carriers who specialize in the transportation of delicate and valuable items. They offer various options for shipping, including white-glove services, and also provide insurance options.
In addition to packing and shipping, it is important to take precautions when unpacking and assembling the Egg Chair. When unpacking the chair, be sure to remove all of the packing material carefully to avoid scratching or damaging the chair. When assembling the chair, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully to ensure that the chair is assembled correctly.
The Egg Chair is a design icon that has stood the test of time. Its unique shape and comfort have made it a sought-after piece of furniture for collectors and design enthusiasts alike. If you are lucky enough to own an Egg Chair or plan to purchase one, it is important to take precautions when packing and shipping to ensure that it arrives safely and in pristine condition. By disassembling the chair, wrapping it securely, and choosing a sturdy box, you can protect your Egg Chair from damage during transit. When shipping, be sure to choose a reputable shipping carrier that specializes in the transportation of delicate and valuable items. With proper care and attention, your Egg Chair can be enjoyed for generations to come.